Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chicago - Day Two

After giving a morning lecture at the North Suburban NeedleArts Guild -- no, there wasn't a single tomato hurled and they even fed me afterwards! - I enjoyed visiting with guild members. Then I got to rest for a few hours at my hotel before guild member Rhonda Newman picked me up and took me to visit the Chicago Botanical Gardens. I expected it would be lovely, but had no idea just how large and incredibly beautiful and extensive the gardens would be. We walked from one gorgeous formal garden to another for several hours. We left just as a band began playing outside overlooking the lake and scores of people were bringing in blankets and lawn chairs to sit and spend the evening listening to them play. Such a relaxing, peaceful environment. Here a few pictures of the many that I took.

A huge man made waterfall led us up and up from one cascading level to the next. What I wouldn't give to listen to this every day.


This entire garden was in shades of purples and lavenders with some white accents. It was stunning against the greenery.

This sculpture overlooks a calm lake with a large fountain right at its center.

Next we headed to Susan Etcoff Fraerman's, who invited a small group to her home for dinner. What a gorgeous artist/art lover/collector space her home is, architecturally striking and filled with wonderful art, both Susan's and other artists.

It was a lovely day from start to finish. Next blog will show you some images from the two-day class on painting and composing textural, layered surfaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment