Monday, March 18, 2013

New Explorations: Chapter 1

So many of you have expressed interest in what my new directions will be. The core of my ideas and concepts are not changing, I’m just not using dyes and silk as my materials.

I am still deeply committed to considering the effects of time and aging on memory and personal identities through my “fluttering pages” series.

But yes, a new series of pieces using paper pulp is now underway. Raphaela McCormack, a talented artist and friend, is teaching me about working with it. Do go to her website and look at her work; I love her sailing vessels and canoes.

IMG_0048

            First, Raphaela showed me how to form basic sheets of paper.

IMG_0051

             Then we set up the wet room to dive into testing out a few of my specific ideas. On the right is a sample threadwork memory map dipped into and layered with pulp.

sculpturalpapertestpiece1b

My first “paper and threadwork” sculptural sample hangs on my design wall. So much potential!

Like every first try, my eye sees issues to resolve for the next ones, but it’s an exciting beginning.

7 comments:

  1. I *love* this Jeanne!I shall stay tuned to see whee you go with this yumminess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, so wonderful to hear from you and as always, your wonderful energy comes shining through!

      Delete
  2. wonderful. i made handmade paper for a number of years and love it. it is always beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Suki, getting first an e-mail from Leslie and then from you makes me want a group reunion session! I'm trying to decide whether to make a paper press.

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful results...and such a neat workspace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah if you could only see it the way it is most days you wouldn't write that...I work in a happy mess and enjoy making it!. Always clean up before and after a creative bout...but seldom during!!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Jeanne. Your paper/thread sculpture is fascinating. Very interesting, the new directions you're taking.
    best from Tunisia,
    nadia

    ReplyDelete