Friday, January 23, 2015

A Shiny Winter Tonic

 

Main Street Art Gallery, located in a picturesque two-story building in Clifton Springs, NY, decided to counteract winter’s chill by inviting an eclectic mix of artists (my absolute favorite type of show) to participate in Solid Gold, a celebration of glowing 2 and 3-D works featuring ceramics, sculpture, painting and mixed media. All works incorporate metallic paint or gold leaf on their surfaces.

MStreetArts3Medium

DSC_0439

The opening was great fun, one of the best ones I’ve been to, friendly and down to earth and the perfect tonic for a cold, dark January day. 

DSC_0393

Main Street Art Gallery also invited me to contribute a post to their Inside the Artist Studio series and I hope you will click the link and take a look.

Confession. I haven’t blogged in over a year. I was questioning so many things about being an artist including what place art has in our culture. Then I realized my job is to be true to my own inner inspirations and share that with anyone who is interested. I can’t control or often understand what’s happening in the rest of the world but I can choose to live my own life each day connected to my spirit of adventure and creativity.

So creating – the research, experiments, failures, explorations and victories that all go into turning ideas into form – are where we’ll go this year on these pages. Comment, share, join in the dance – those who love creating are a tribe and I’m eager to meet more of mine.

6 comments:

  1. Nice gallery, lovely art. I just started blogging again after about 3 month absence. I have the same question as you. What am I doing, where am I going? Like to be a fiber artist, but making patchwork bags and teaching brings me some money! So, I also choose to live each day connected to my creativity, and my spirituality, whether it brings me money or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ada, thank you for commenting. What beautiful surroundings you must have in Greece. What I find empowering is knowing we can choose when to focus on products and when to quietly explore our process. Then it's not an either/or, it's us embracing diverse aspects of our selves and lives and flowing with our own creative cycles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to have you back! I'm finding that so many of the bloggers I've followed for years have hit this same spot in their creative journey the last year or so, including me. I think we have as much to learn from each other through these questioning times as through our more "productive" unquestioning times. Blog about it all - it's therapeutic and enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you back on the blog. We always enjoy your photos and musings.
    Everyone has a need to be creative, but it's tough for those of us with lesser talents to find an appropriate genre. I've taken up woodburning--using that to add interest to woodshop projects. Yesterday I demonstrated some simple woodburning techniques at the huge woodworking show here in Columbus.
    http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/shows.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "confession" of doubts and how you resolved it (I am sure you could write a book about it, never mind a paragraph) really spoke to me. I have come to much the same conclusions, but have been away from blogging for 2.5 years. Before that, I blogged intensively. A spirit of adventure and creativity does not require blogging, but can serve to inspire others. Of course, there are other ways to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol. thank you for reading and commenting!.I'm happy I took some time to consider why I blog.. Writing has always been a touchstone for me and is important to my process, but you are right, blogging is just one of many options.

    ReplyDelete