Sunday, May 6, 2012

First Friday Open Studio: Behind the Scenes, Before the Crowds Arrive

 

Since not everyone can come to Hungerford for one of our First Friday Open Studio nights (just had this one Friday, May 4), here’s a virtual tour of my studio waiting for the fun to begin:.

DSCN7806

First stop, the door to my corner studio on the third floor of the building. Just freshly painted green, with blue panels on either side. Of course it will be open wide to welcome everyone as soon as I’m done shooting this picture. By next month, a sign – and possibly some bright Mexican tiles along the green trim – will be added to welcome you!

DSCN7807

Once you open the door, there’s a small entryway. My husband just painted it too so now it serves as an additional small gallery space. On the right, a quick view of my new “Big, Bold Life” painting.

DSCN7808

Look to the left, and you see “Fall Equinox” and two 12” x 12” pieces from the “Notations” series.

DSCN7810

Just inside the entryway, the wall on the right has another painting, “Spring Equinox”, plus one of my Book of the Ancients pieces and three small framed works.

DSCN7811

Facing you is the dark charcoal accent wall with another “Book of the Ancients” piece.

DSCN7812

Most everyone who comes in loves the space and comments on how wonderful the natural light is.  I love it too, but on First Friday open studio nights I wish I could wave a magic wand and create more wallspace!

DSCN7816

Close up of the pieces in front of the east wall bank of windows.

DSCN7817

If you stand in front of that east wall bank of windows and face the west end of my studio, you’ll see the entryway on the left again and my design wall, which gets commandeered as another display space on First Fridays.

So there you go – in just an hour or so after I shot these pictures, the halls began to fill and interesting, delightful people got to visit the many unique studios and meet the artists who work in them. What a great way to spend a Friday evening.

Do come join us if you’re ever in the Rochester area!

4 comments:

  1. It looks lovely and ready for lots of company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that I got to see your recent upgrades and new work hanging on the walls. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous space and a lovely way for the public to see your art and talk to the maker. Really really love the "Book of the ancients" pieces. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breathtaking, Jeanne! Wonderful to see so much of your work at one time, and in your creative space. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete