Sunday, March 1, 2009

More Studio Improvements!

Habitat for Humanity opened up a new store near my studio where homeowners and contractors can donate materials in decent condition for resale. My husband decided we should visit there when I confided to him that I dearly wished I had more storage space in my studio.

We walked in just to see what they might have. We found the base cabinets I wanted immediately and three wall-hung cabinets as well. Talk about easy. In another architectural salvage store just a few blocks away, Bob found a countertop that was a perfect fit for the base cabinets for only $5! I'd have to say that the idea of repurposing materials instead of taking them to a landfill really appeals to me and I love that the money we spent supports Habitat for Humanity's home building efforts.

Bob did a beautiful job installing the base cabinets, despite floors that are hugely slanted and walls that aren't square.

We return tomorrow to tackle the wall cabinets. Or rather Bob tackles them and I provide that all important moral support and enthusiasm!

We do have a deadline for completing this. The Hungerford Building artists are working together to hold an open house this coming Friday evening as part of Rochester's First Fridays gallery openings. Once the cabinets get hung, I'll start arranging and hanging my work on the walls.

If you live in this area, please come visit. Here are the details:

Hidden Hungerford Open Studios
Friday, March 5, 5:00 - 9:00 PM
1115 East Main Street
Rochester, NY


Enter through Door #2, walk up the stairs one flight, enter the hallway and turn right. You'll be at Crocus ClayWorks. There's a display in the two studios there of all the participating artists' works, along with a map of the building that shows where each artist's studio is. You can walk around the building and visit all the artists, see their studios and more of their work.

We'll be serving wine and cheese in my studio, plus you can sign up for a free drawing to win one of my framed pieces. I'm hoping we'll get a great turnout!

No comments:

Post a Comment