Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why I've Been MIA

I got an e-mail from Lauren two days ago wondering why I haven't blogged in 12 days. The culprit started out as what I thought was a simple cold but turned fierce and hung on and on with flu-like aches and fatigue. I couldn't think clearly, felt slow and foggy. I still kept trucking as best I could, but I wore out pretty fast each day.

Happily, I'm almost completely over it and writing doesn't feel like climbing Mt.Everest. And blink, blink, surprise! -- I've actually gotten some good things done through the blizzard of sneezing and coughing and resting resting resting.

My wonderful husband "repurposed" some shelving from our basement to a dead corner of my studio space where I can now display my small works on the shelves as well as on the wall space above.

This is the first wall you see when you enter my studio, so it's a nice addition given that 28 artists in our building are starting to work together to have building-wide open houses. Our first one will be Friday, March 6, 5 - 9 PM. I'll write more about this!

See that silver panel on the far right? That's a piece of insulation board. I've wrapped them with cotton flannel blankets and Bob has attached them to the walls with wood casings along the tops and bottoms so I have a huge and easy to use design wall. It's eight feet tall and will be twelve feet wide when we complete it. The insulation board is lightweight and easy to pin into.
It's been exciting to have it and a huge improvement over the old curtain rods and clips I used for six years to pin up work in progress.

And lookee, lookee! My newest idea for a Seeds piece is finally looking good, although I had to discharge it TWICE -- the second time by hand, seed shape by seed shape -- to get to this stage. What comes next -- or so I think now -- is adding a bold, contrasting sheer overlay in red to the left hand section and then stitching the entire surface. You'll see it progress.

If you're reading this, then thanks for staying with me through my physical "power outage" -- my enthusiasm is back, the piles of used tissues are dwindling and I'm excited about the new work and ideas again. Even better, it's almost the end of February and warmer weather is just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment